Saturday, August 18, 2012

A bit of fact.

I've realized that I haven't written any in depth personal things in this blog yet. I find that to be an interesting thing. So I'd like to take the time to write a few things about myself and my thought.

My Name is Daniel Steven Francis. The name of this blog is derived from my name.

I'm a 22 year old attempting to complete a double major in religion and sociology, in my attempt to complete a Masters in Community and International Development with an emphasis in Human Rights and Advocacy.
I'd like to a Human Rights Activist and a Theologian. I'm not sure how I will accomplish both of these goals but I'm determined to try.

I am a Seventh-day Adventist Christian. This is important.

I'm African American of Caribbean descent. Also very important.

And I'm Gay. Again very important.

I believe that history is the most important subject other than basic reading skills. If you don't understand the past you can't understand the present. And if you misconstrue obfuscate or forget the past you are doomed to repeat it.

I love sci-fi and fantasy.
I love a good love story.
I used to be obsessed with war and conflict, but my love of tis has waned as I've gotten older.

Philosophically I am a Christian Humanist. I'm a humanist because I believe that any moral or ethical system is good and/or useful only insofar as it determines that which is good through the prism of human needs and experience. Any other form of moral or ethical basis, no matter how pious sounding or high minded, will ultimately justify harm. I'm a Christian because I believe that this faith and its main object Jesus Christ is the most conducive to the advancement of the life and happiness of human beings.
Emphasis on the word MOST. Christianity isn't near to being perfect on any level in any form. As you'll see from my blog posts.

My greatest desire is to be and do good. And I define that as loving people unconditionally, and seeking to recognize everything of value and worth that my fellow humans might have or that they might do and affirm it and encourage it.

And that is enough for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment