Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Foreign Service?

For years I've thought about joining the Foreign Service in some capacity. It's a career option that would allow me to use my talents and interests in a way that was beneficial to me and the wider world. Less secure and demanding forms of International Development and Advocacy work has called to me in years past, but I'm starting to give the US State Department and the diplomatic corps serious thought. I'm a little worried about the prospect, because I don't want it to distract from my spiritual religious and theological development. If I were to join the Foreign Service, I'd be spending at least 5 years of my life there. And I don't want to distract from gaining my Masters in Divinity or in getting the opportunity to teach.
Most importantly , i don't want to be cut off from my religious community. I'm a young Friend, and I don't want to go to a place unless God sends me, that doesn't have any Quakers to sit in silence and fellowship with on First day.  I feel like I've gone long enough neglecting spiritual community, and it's time for me to have a real grounding. I fear being so caught up in my Job that I neglect the spiritual paths and gifts for religious and theological thought that God has blessed me with. So, I'm asking God for guidance and hoping he will bless me with some. I also want God to send me a young handsome Quaker/Sabbatarian person to spend the rest of my life with. I want to be equally yoked with a young man who loves God and people. Not self-hating, brave open funny.. Kind generous and understanding. Both Spiritual and religious. And again loving above all. Including loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment