Sunday, December 24, 2017

Spiritual Discipline is hard.

Quaker Spirituality can be tough, because, in modern times, it relies on your own personal spiritual discipline and less on communal liturgical practice to ground you. To be faithful to the Quaker path, I have to embrace a disciplined life. I have not, however, been a very disciplined person in my life. So accepting such a rigorous form of Christianity is difficult for me. But I'm trying to embrace it because I have a number of goals that I'd like to accomplish. Namely, I'd like to live a fulfilled and happy life, and I can't reach that goal if I'm not a disciplined person.

My future happiness and worthiness to serve consist of so many steps. And their are many obstacles, internal and external, in my life that makes it more difficult. The smallness of the fellowship of which I'm a part, the dimmed nature of the light of Christ in my heart and the hearts of my fellow Quakers, the constant barrage of the theological notions of  my family and friends, my inner desire not to offend them or anyone else by more thoroughly and robustly practicing and defending my faith, to despairing at times over what God actually wants of me and other LGBT Christians in this world.

It's hard to be spiritually disciplined when facing so many obstacles to faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment