Thursday, January 11, 2018

Short thought.

Was just reading Hebrews 8 this morning. Something that caught my eye is how much Hebrews 8, especially the last few verses,  seems to have affected Quaker thought and rhetoric. I also noted that these particular passages are a quotation from Jeremiah 30 in which god describes his New Covenant. In it, God's laws are put in peoples minds and written on peoples hearts, nobody tells each other about the Lord because "they will all know me from the least of them to the greatest". This all leads me to think that the primary sources of Early Quaker thought were the General Epistles, the Gospels, and the book of Acts. I see little reliance on the Pauline Epistles in Quaker theology and thought. Which is probably what makes it so heterodox.

No comments:

Post a Comment