Saturday, November 18, 2017

Thinking about my "introversion" and "anxiety".

I've always considered myself to be very emotionally "sensitive". Being anxious and introverted has been part of my  entire conscious existence. I get anxiety so bad that my mind goes blank when I'm doing routine work or chores. I walk around with frequent pain in my chest from anxiety.
But, except for a brief period when I was 4 or 5, I've never considered myself a person suffering from Mental Illness. I've just assumed that most people feel sad or anxious most of the time. 

I talked to my Mom about this, and her response was generally consistent with the upbringing she had. Unless you're unable to function, feelings of depression and anxiety are solved by serving God correctly and praying regularly and constantly. I'm sure that helps, but that response didn't feel like she takes mild forms of mental and emotional distress seriously. I'll try to listen to her advice, but I think I might need therapy. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment